Typhoon tittle tattle from Dubai

This is where to talk about Europe's latest and most advanced air superiority aircraft.

Typhoon tittle tattle from Dubai

Unread postby Jon Lake » 18 Nov 2009 16:46

Firstly, I recorded Craig Penrice, talking about Typhoon, on the record.

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/index. ... tion=audio

Secondly, there was no confirmation of any Rafale order from the UAE, and EF and Lockmart seemed cautiously optimistic that the fat lady hadn't sung just yet.

There was a great deal of reaction to Flight's Rafale Flight Test, not least from the RAF Typhoon pilots in the UAE at the moment (Typhoon, F-22 and Rafale are all participating in the same exercises).

One Typhoon pilot I spoke to had actually flown Rafale......

It sounds as though Japan is going well.
Jon Lake
Part of the furniture

Re: Typhoon tittle tattle from Dubai

Unread postby Scorpion » 18 Nov 2009 18:37

I couldn't find a video on that link Jon. But thanks for the update anyway. Would be nice to learn more about what the RAF pilots said with regards to the flight test report on the Rafale. Were there any hints about the UAE advanced leadership course?
Scorpion
Part of the furniture

Unread postby JLZietler » 18 Nov 2009 22:15

"It sounds as though Japan is going well."

Can you say more on this subject?
JLZietler
Part of the furniture

Unread postby Jon Lake » 18 Nov 2009 23:09

It's audio, not video. It's on the Day 3 blog.

I will be writing about what the RAF pilots said, and indeed about export campaigns, so I won't steal my own thunder by going into lots of detail here.

The reaction to the Flight Test ranged from amusement to amazement. It would be fair to say that the most common reaction was one of disbelief. No-one could quite believe that Flight had sent out a pilot who had no valid 'basis of comaprison', whose operational experience was two decades out of date, and who so clearly hadn't flown another modern fighter (his flying tours were on Lightning, Harrier GR3, and SHar FRS1).

Craig Penrice has flown all of the teen series, MiG-29, Typhoon, Lightning, etc. etc.
Jon Lake
Part of the furniture

Unread postby Giblets46 » 18 Nov 2009 23:17

Found the interview with Craig Penrice on the day 3 podcast, 15.40-end
Also interview with Scott Loughran, from the RAF Typhoon display, day one, 4.20-8.30
Giblets46
Never Leaves

Unread postby Jon Lake » 18 Nov 2009 23:58

Oops! Forgot I'd done Scott.

Keep your eyes peeled for one with Peter Anstiss, too.
Jon Lake
Part of the furniture

Unread postby Giblets46 » 20 Nov 2009 17:26

Any news on the 'no show' of the F-22 in the three way tie?
Giblets46
Never Leaves

Unread postby Jon Lake » 07 Jan 2010 21:37

Just a little update.

The official attitude seems to be that there is no point in getting an official RAF Statement regarding Typhoon vs Rafale in ATLC - this would be seen as dignifying what seems to be almost universally viewed as 'hoop' (nonsense) with a response. Moreover there is a disinclination to get into what one officer called "an RAF v FAF or Typhoon v Rafale p***ing contest", which he viewed as being "entirely pointless."

Interestingly, I've had very similar official responses from the 1st Fighter Wing.

This means, of course, that junior pilots tend to be less willing to talk, and those that do do so only on condition of anonymity.

That's a shame, as the more I hear about ATLC, the more amusing the claims coming out of the exercise have become.

Those who took part are supremely unconcerned by all the hysteria and bol.locks (La RAF n’est plus ce que’elle était - "The RAF isn't what it was" :roll: ) that we've seen, because they were there and know exactly what did and did not happen. There are also those who are quite content for their aircraft to be under-rated by the opposition, sensing that this might lead to complacency and carelessness.

But this 'remaining above it all' attitude is frustrating for those who watch from the sidelines.

Mercifully, for Typhoon enthusiasts, the facts do seem to be extremely encouraging, and when they emerge some people are going to look really rather silly.

Fortunately, I detect a gradual change in attitude, and soon expect to be able to write about the exercise.

In the meantime, enjoy all the '7-1 scoreline' and 'only in the F-22's gunsight once' stuff. I know that I am doing!
Jon Lake
Part of the furniture

Unread postby Jon Lake » 23 Jan 2010 15:23

The wheels continue to grind, slowly.

However, one interesting snippet is that I've had an official counter to Colonel Grandclaudon's claims that in the SEAD role, the Rafale had been able to locate and attack missile sites that had remained undetected by USAF F-16CJs. The denial came direct from a senior pilot in the F-16CJ unit concerned in an official letter to me. There'll be more on this if and when I write about ATLC.
Jon Lake
Part of the furniture

Next

Return to General Discussion